Tosoh invites you to glimpse what it achieved through the chemistry of
innovation in fiscal 2013.
Logistics, IT, Personnel
Our emphasis is to boost the contribution of the Specialty Group to improve our
profitability and to keep us positioned for growth.
- Electron hole transport materials for organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays
- Heat-resistant resin substrates and wiring materials for flexible displays
- Chemical vapor deposition materials for next-generation semiconductors
- Advancements in separation media for antibody drugs
- Immunoassay reagents
- Genetic testing reagents
- Manganese oxide for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (LIB) in automobiles
- High-silica zeolites (HSZ®) for processing automobile emissions using catalytic converters
- High-performance ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) sealing film for solar cells
Tosoh’s yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) is superior to other machinable materials in most respects. It therefore has unlimited potential in the manufacturing field.
Most ceramics are hard but brittle, making them unsuitable for products that have to endure wear and tear or sudden shocks. YSZ overcomes this limitation through a technological breakthrough that produces a microcrystalline grain structure.
Zirconia in Detail Materials
Sintered zirconia is hard and therefore difficult to fabricate. For that reason, zirconia crowns and bridge restorations are made from a pre-sintered zirconia disk, which shrinks only about 21%, using a computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) system. The fabricated zirconia dental appliance is then sintered to ensure its hardness.
CHEMICAL MANGANESE OXIDE AND ELECTROLYTIC
Tosoh’s raw materials for battery cathodes are essential
for the shift to hybrid and electric vehicles.
Tosoh is the world’s largest manufacturer and seller of electrolytic manganese dioxide (EMD), which is generally used to manufacture cathodes for dry cell batteries. Recently, EMD has also come into use as a precursor for the manufacture of lithium manganese oxide (LMO).
SUPPLYING MATERIALS FOR THE HYBRID AND ELECTRIC VEHICLES
CMO and EMD are used to produce the LMO and the nickel cobalt manganese (NCM) used in the cathodes of the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that power the hybrid and electric vehicles that the world is shifting to.